Kids on the Block is now available both virtually and in-person! Kids on the Block is a troupe of life-sized puppets who educate children, youth, parents, teachers and the community about disabilities, abilities, acceptance, diversity and inclusion. The "Kids" are brought to life by trained volunteer puppeteers. A variety of scripts are used in a performance to describe disabilities and abilities.
Kids on the Block is ...
- geared to children up to the age of 12, with all ages including adults, enjoying the shows and developing awareness.
- performed live or virtually on Zoom or the platform of your choice by a group of dedicated and trained volunteer puppeteers that bring the “kids” to life.
- linked to Ability Connections, a group of youth with disabilities who increase awareness through public community presentations.
- supported by donations to TVCC through our partners at Children's Health Foundation.
Access to Service
Kids on the Block is available to daycares, schools, sporting groups and community organizations. Our puppets interact with your classroom/group with a brief introduction followed by a live or pre-recorded skit (for virtual performances) and close with a live question and answer period. To arrange a performance, please email:
kids [at] tvcc.on.on (Ability Awareness Coordinator) or call 519.685.8700 ext 53706
What to Expect
- One to two topics are chosen: See List below
- Customized from 30 to 60 minutes in length and includes audience participation through questions and comments.
- Live presentations have a welcome from the puppets, a live skit, followed by a question and answer period.
- Virtual presentations are a combination of a "live" introduction with Mark Reilly (spokes-puppet), a pre-recorded skit , followed by a "live" question and answer periord.
|Topic||Appropriate for Grades|
|ADHD||2 - 6|
|Autism (Available Virtually)||2 - 6|
|Cerebral Palsy (Available Virtually)||JK - 6|
|Down Syndrome||2 - 6|
|Epilepsy||2 - 6|
|Feelings Are Important||JK - 6|
|Hemophilia||2 - 6|
|Learning Disability (Available Virtually)||JK - 6|
|Muscular Dystrophy||2 - 6|
|Self Esteem||2 - 6|
|Spina Bifida||JK - 6|
|Teasing, Bullying & School Safety (Available Virtually)||2 - 6|
Coming soon: Blind/Low Vision
If you are unsure which topic would best suit your group, please contact us to discuss your needs!
“The script nailed it … How it has been for me living with a disability for all my life.”
“Thank you for teaching us about differences and to respect each other.”
“Remember we are all the same inside.”
For More Information ...
kids [at] tvcc.on.ca (Ability Awareness Coordinator)
519.685.8700 ext 53706
To become a volunteer puppeteer, please contact:
amanda.giorgini [at] tvcc.on.ca (Volunteer Services)
519.685.8700 ext 53452
To make a donation, please contact:
Children's Health Foundation or 519.432.8062
Specify that you wish to direct your support TVCC | Kids on the Block.
Donations to Kids on the Block help cover the cost of puppets, props, traveling, volunteer training, program coordination and subsidies.
Thank you for considering a contribution at our performance.
The TVCC troupe is an affiliate and limited licensee of The Kids on the Block Incorporated, Columbia, Maryland, USA.
The Kids on the Block, Inc. All puppets and program materials are protected by United States and other copyright laws. Unauthorized use is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.