tykeTALK: From tykeTALK to School

Speech and Language Services

Getting Ready for School

Start planning early for the move to school.  School registration begins in February prior to your child going to school.

Step 1: Talk to your tykeTALK Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) about starting school.

Changing speech and language services from tykeTALK to the school can happen in Junior or Senior Kindergarten depending on your child’s needs.

Step 2: Contact the school.

Talk to the principal at the school where your child will be going. Explain your child’s needs. All schools have an SLP assigned to them. Your tykeTALK SLP will give you the name of the SLP to contact.

Step 3: Sign consent to exchange information.

Your tykeTALK SLP will share information about your child with the school.

Information can include sending reports and/or the tykeTALK and school SLP talking on the telephone. Sharing information will help the school plan for your child’s needs. 

Step 4: Discuss plans for transition with your tykeTALK SLP.

Step 5: Speech and language services begin at school.

You will be required to sign school board consent form(s) before your child can receive service. If you have questions or concerns, call the school SLP.

What Happens When My Child Starts School? 

  • School Boards know that it is important to provide speech and language services at an early age including JK and SK students.
  • All schools in this region have SLPs assigned to them.
  • School speech and language services are provided as a support with the goal of helping your child succeed in school. They help your child develop speech and language skills which are important for success at school.
  • Based on the needs of your child, they may receive different types of speech and language services similar to the range of services offered in tykeTALK. These could include home, community and school programs, working with families and teachers, in-class support and short-term individual/group sessions.
  • You will have a chance to work together with your child’s teacher and school SLP to set speech and language goals for home and school. The school SLP can provide home activities if appropriate.

Who is your tykeTALK SLP?

This is the Speech-Language Pathologist who is currently working with your child.

  • It is important that you continue to be involved in your child’s speech and language development. Contact your school SLP at any time.

School Board Speech and Language Contacts

Thames Valley District School Board
Coordinator of Speech and Language Services
(519) 452-2000 ext. 20414

London District Catholic School Board
Learning Services Department Secretary
(519) 663-2088 

This information was prepared in conjunction with the Thames Valley District School Board, the London District Catholic School Board and tykeTALK. 


519.663.0273 1.877.818.TALK