Information for Schools - School Therapy Services

Therapy services may be available at school if required to enable a student to attend school, participate in school routines and receive instruction. In Ontario schools, Children's Treatment Centres provide Occupational Therapy (OT), Physiotherapy (PT) and some Speech-Language Therapy (SLP) services. TVCC manages these services in publicly funded schools in London, Middlesex, Elgin, Oxford, Huron, Perth, Grey and Bruce counties. 

For information about these services in these counties in private schools or in the home, contact the HCCSS (Home and Community Care Support Services) ( at 519.474.5667. The HCCSS is also responsible for nursing services at school.

Students do not require a Health Card to be eligible for service.

Referral Process

The school team discusses the potential service with the student and family and shares the Parent and School Information handout.

The school completes a general TVCC Referral Form and follows the directions for OT, PT or SLP. Families and schools should add any reports from other services or doctors that have helpful information.

See the required forms and directions found on the Intake and Referrals page

TVCC will review the referral package. If the student needs are eligible for immediate service, the family and school will be contacted by a therapist to set up a school assessment. If the resources are not available for services to begin immediately, the student will be placed on a waitlist. TVCC will inform the school board about the student's name being placed on the waitlist. Please share this information with the family.

For students with urgent needs (ie returning to school after surgery with new needs):
•Indicate if the student’s needs are urgent from the school perspective on the fax cover sheet and detail the needs on the Student Update Form. TVCC will assess the needs of the student on a priority basis and contact the school and family if there are any questions.

Updating TVCC About Changes for Referred Students

Use the Student Update Form to provide updated information about students who are currently waiting for service. You must discuss with the family (and check on the form that it has been discussed) when you are sharing new information with TVCC. There is no need to call TVCC to discuss; if TVCC has questions we will contact you after reviewing the form.

Important updates to share include:
•Changes in the student’s needs. If a student’s needs have increased, it may change the length of time waiting for service. If a student no longer requires the service, please inform TVCC and the student will be removed from the waiting list.
•Changes to custody or contact information
•Changes in school
Please share updates about students who are already receiving service directly with the student’s therapist. 

Standing Stone and Antler River Schools

TVCC also provides OT and SLP services on a contract basis to Standing Stone School on the Oneida Reserve and OT, PT and SLP services to Antler River School on the Chippewa Reserve. Contact the school principals for information about the referral process in these schools.

If you have further questions, check out the Frequently Asked Questions for Schools or contact one of our Intake Coordinators at:
519.685.8716 (in London calling area)
1.866.590.8822 ext 58716 (Toll-free for callers outside the London calling area)