Home arrow Our Services arrow by Service arrow Rehabilitation arrow Social Work
Social Work  E-mail

What are Social Work services?

Social work team members are involved in providing counselling and support to clients and families. If you or any of your family members are having difficulty coping or would like to talk to someone about adjusting to your role of parenting your child with a disability, Social Work Services at TVCC may be able to help.  Social work team members are trained in counseling and have experience in children’s rehabilitation. Counseling can be provided on an individual basis or in the context of educational groups for parents and other family members.

Social Work Services:

  • Help clients, parents, siblings and the extended family with adjusting to a diagnosis of a disability 
  • Provide counselling about family and parenting issues related to a disability
  • Provide individual counselling for children regarding emotional or social issues and responses related to their disability
  • Help clients and families in developing problem solving skills and coping strategies as they work with various services and agencies
  • Assist families in managing personal or family stresses


At any point in your child’s involvement with services at Thames Valley Children’s Centre, you can request a referral to social work services. You can discuss the referral process with one of your child’s treating therapists or by calling a social work team member directly. If you are not involved with any current services at TVCC, external referrals can also be sent directly to the Clinical Information Services (CIS). A physician’s referral may be needed.

Professional Regulations:

Social workers and Social Service Workers are registered with the College of Social Work and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW). Services are provided in accordance with professional standards, guidelines and the ethical code of conduct. For more information about the College, contact at (416) 972-9882 (Toronto)/1-877-828-9380 (toll-free in Canada), or through their website at http://www.ocswssw.org.



Last Updated ( Monday, 14 April 2014 )